Long respected as the county's top lawman, the Sheriff has a range of duties that include criminal investigations, traffic enforcement, operation of the jail and other responsibilities.
Duties of the Sheriff include:
- Providing security for the operation of county and district courts;
- Enforcing traffic laws, other county ordinances and other state laws;
- Service of process;
- Accepting bail for prisoners in his custody;
- Conducting sales of seized and unclaimed properties; and
- Taking charge of and responsibility for the county jail and prisoners.