Click on the below Links

for needed Forms

(Used in Responding to Traffic Ticket Cases)

(Used in Small Claim, Eviction, Debt Claim, and Repair and Remedy Cases)

(Used in Civil - Eviction Cases)

(Used in Civil - Eviction Cases)

(Used in Civil - Eviction Cases)

(Used in Small Claim Cases)

* 125 West Main St. Suite 140 *
* Fredericksburg, TX 78624 *
* Phone 830-307-3737  Ext. 4 *  * Fax 830-997-1540 *

Office Hours of Operation: 

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday  9:00 am - 4:00 pm

To contact the Court

between the hours of 9 AM - 4 PM, M-W-Th,

please call 830-307-3737, ext 4,           OR,

Mail to JP#4 Court, 125 West Main, Fredericksburg, Tx  78624   OR,

Email the Court at

Payments, Pleas or requests for forms may be dropped in DROP BOX at the back of the building.  

1.You may request paperwork for Small Claims, Evictions, or Occupational License to be mailed to you.

2.You may go to and print the forms and instructions needed.  (Click on-Elected Officials or Departments;    Click on-County Justice of the Peace, Pct. 4.    Find your needed paperwork for a plea, small claims petition or any other.     Print.    Occupational License not available here.)

Directions for credit card payments are available on web site. (Jurisdiction code: 7422;use TX DL# or ticket # may be used as Citation #);   OR, mail check or M/O;    OR, cash, or other payment may be placed in Drop Box addressed to JP#4.

Filled out paperwork may be mailed to the Court or dropped in the DROP BOX in the back of the building. (Be sure all is properly signed before a Notary if needed.)

Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace
Carl Schoessow

The office of the Justice of the Peace Precinct Four was created by the Constitution. The Justice presides over Criminal Class C Misdemeanors. Class C Misdemeanors include, but are not limited to offenses found in the Traffic Code, Penal Code, Health and Safety Code, Education Code, Parks and Wildlife Code, and the Alcohol & Beverage Code. Civil Justice Court with a jurisdictional limit of $20,000.00 and a Small Claims Court with a jurisdictional limit of $20,000.00. In addition the Justice presides over numerous administrative actions, such as appeals on the driver license suspensions, magistration, and search warrants.

A small claims case is a lawsuit brought for the recovery of monetary damages, civil penalties, personal property, or other relief allowed by law.  The actual amount in controversy (not the amount sued for) cannot exceed $20,000.00, excluding statutory interest and court costs but including attorney fees, if any. 


General Rule: Generally, a defendant in a small claims case or a debt claim case is entitled to be sued in one of the following venues:

  1. The county and precinct where the defendant resides;
  2. The county and precinct where the incident, or the majority of incidents, that gave rise to the claim occurred;
  3. The county and precinct where the contract or agreement, if any, that gave rise to the claim was to be performed; or
  4. The county and precinct where the property is located, in a suit to recover personal property.


  1. INDIVIDUAL – list all known addresses on the form
  2. SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP – contact the Assumed Names Dept. 830-997-6515 in the Gillespie County Clerk’s office for more information
  3. CORPORATION – serve its registered agent; the name and address can be obtained by calling the office of the Secretary of State at 512-463-5701 or

The responsibility for filling out your Petition and Civil Case Information Sheet rests with you. The filing fee is $51.00 and the service fee for certified mail is $12.35, for constable service, $75.00. A litigant is entitled to alternative methods of satisfying the court cost, subject to acceptance by the Court.  If the defendant resides outside of Gillespie County, contact the Court for service fees for that county where they reside or work.  We need name and address to send information to for service. 

After the trial, either party may appeal the judgment by filing a Notice of Appeal with the Court, and an Appeal Surety Bond, within (21) twenty-one days from the date of judgment.  If the appeal is filed by the Plaintiff, the appeal bond amount shall be $500.00.  If the appeal is filed by the Defendant, the appeal bond amount shall be two (2) times the judgment amount. Filing fees are required for filing in the County Court.

Should you receive a judgment, this Court does not collect the judgment for you, nor can we force the defendant to pay the judgment.  If you receive a judgment against the defendant, this Court can issue various instruments to assist you in collecting the judgment.

  1. Abstract of Judgment: $5.00; requested after (21) days after Judgment and filed with the County Clerk; and is good for a period of ten (10) years.
  2. Writ of Execution: $200.00 plus a $5.00 processing fee, requested (30) days after judgment.

* * Need help with * *

a legal problem? 

SB 1911 – Legal Self Help Bill



Click the link above to make an online payment or to Make a payment by phone: call 1-800-487-4567 Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 7:00pm CT

Wedding Info

The Justice of the Peace Precinct Four does perform wedding ceremonies at the office and also at other locations away from the office. If you are interested in scheduling a wedding, please call to make an appointment.

  • $50.00 for in-office wedding during office hours (this includes weddings performed at the Gazebo or Fountain on the Courthouse grounds or Marktplatz Square areas). 
  • $100.00 for weddings performed between 2 - 5 p.m. on Fridays. 
  • $150.00 for after office hours, weekends, holidays or away from the office within city limits. 
  • For weddings outside of the City of Fredericksburg limits, please contact Office for a fee quote. 

You must have a valid Marriage License that is at least 72 hours old but not more than 90 days. Marriage licenses can be obtained from the County Clerk's office in any county in Texas and the couple can get married in any county in Texas.

* An eviction MUST be filed in the Justice precinct where the rental property is located.
* The notice to vacate must be in writing and should be unconditional, i.e., it should tell the tenant to vacate by a specific date in no uncertain terms (at least three days written notice to vacate before the landlord files an eviction, unless the parties have contracted for a shorter or longer notice period in a lease or agreement).
* The notice to vacate shall be given in person or by mail at the premises in question.
* To begin an eviction proceeding, the landlord must file a written and sworn Petition for EvictionCivil Case Information SheetAffidavit of Military Status Form, and Verification of Compliance with Section 4024 of The Cares Act Form. The complaint must describe the premises of which the landlord is claiming possession with sufficient certainty to identify the premises, and state the facts which entitle the landlord to possession.
* Generally, all parties named in the lease should be sued and served with a citation in the eviction proceeding. Any judgment granted will run only against those who are specifically named and served.
* A suit for rent may be filed with the eviction suit if the amount due is within the jurisdiction of the justice court (<$20,000.00). Charges for items other than rent cannot be joined with suit for eviction.
* A court date will be set after the citation has been served and both parties will be notified and are expected to appear at that date/time. Any continuance request must be in writing, timely and agreed to by all parties.
* Under the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, either party to the lawsuit has five days to appeal the court’s decision. The filing of an appeal bond or paupers oath by that time completes the appeal. A properly filed appeal stops all further justice court proceedings until there is a resolution by the county court.
* If neither party appeals, the landlord may obtain a Writ of Possession from the court after the five (5) day period for appeal has passed. The writ fee of $200.00 plus a $5.00 processing fee is payable to JP court to cause the tenant to vacate the premises. Questions involving the execution of the writ should be directed to the appropriate constable's office.